Special Projects Desk Internship, Summer 2018
Are you a rising undergraduate or graduate student with a strong interest in data journalism?
The Gizmodo Media Group's Special Projects Desk is seeking a sharp, curious, and fun aspiring journalist to intern with us in New York City in Summer 2018.
Gizmodo Media Group is the publisher of the web’s most original media brands, including Gizmodo, Kotaku, Lifehacker, Deadspin, Jezebel, Splinter, The Root, and Jalopnik. As a part of Fusion Media Group( FMG) we join a collection of digital-first properties that include The Onion, AV Club and Clickhole, with a total reach 100 million monthly super-fans-- more than one third of all Americans. The Special Projects Desk works with and across these sites to produce investigations, features, newsroom tools, and more; you can see examples of our work here.
This is an eight-week, full-time paid internship for juniors, seniors, and graduate students. GMG internships generally take place over June, July and August, with start dates somewhat flexible.
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- Sharp instincts for news and for the ways in which managing and analyzing data can help journalists discover hidden truths and readers understand them
- A skeptical and adversarial sensibility
- Knowledge of how to scrape data
- Knowledge of HTML, CSS, React, and similar frameworks, as well as visualization frameworks like D3.js
- Comfort on the command line, Node.js, Express, Flask, and similar backend frameworks.
- Knowledge of R and statistical analysis techniques
- Eagerness to learn and ability to work efficiently and independently
- Strong communication and organizational skills
- A knowledge of and passion for some or many of the sites we work with
- Previous journalism internships or body of work on campus/off-campus publications, preferably digital
- A sense of humor
While the technical skillset here represents an ideal, the lack of any particular skills will not be disqualifying. If you have a good idea for what you think could be done in this role and you think you can do it, we're open to your case.
GMG/FMG and our parent, Univision, are committed to fostering a transparently inclusive workplace environment and people of color, women, people with disabilities and LGBTQ candidates are very strongly encouraged to apply. Our company-wide mission is to reach very diverse audiences and we are deeply committed to having interns who reflect this mission.
Applications must be received no later than midnight Eastern time on February 28th, 2018. This is a very competitive internship program and only shortlisted candidates will have phone interviews. Because of the volume of applications we get for our limited internship positions, we will not be in a position to respond individually to all applicants. We intend making firm offers by the end of March.
If you think you are the right fit, please apply with your resume, cover letter, and work samples.